Monday, May 26, 2008

WHAT WAS I THINKING, OR NOT

Friday was Heidi's 5th birthday, so on Sat. Natalie and Chad had a party for her at our house. She invited her Primary classmates and they all had a fun time.
Everyone had left and about 5:00 Heidi and Noah were playing outside. They were outside our living room window and I thought I heard some glass breaking. I looked out the window and 3 kids had broken the window at out neighbors house. Heidi and Noah were standing there watching them and they turned around and looked at us and I thought it was the neighbor kid. I assumed he had locked himself out and they were trying to get in the house. I knocked on the window and said something to Heidi and Noah and then noticed the girl that was with them was gone and the boys were walking around to the front of the house. I thought, boy are they gonna be in trouble with their mom for breaking the window.
Natalie and Chad left shortly after that and I headed into town to get gas. I checked the house when I went by and saw both cars were there so didn't think much more of it.
Well early Sunday evening we happen to look out the window and see the police next door. They are looking at the window and dusting for finger prints so I head over and tell them I saw the whole thing. Stupid me just thought it was the kid that lived there. Well I gave them a written statement, after they checked my drivers license to make sure there was no warrant out for my arrest, and yes I did pass that test in case anyone is wondering. There were 2 boys and 1 girl and I got a good look at all 3 of them. They were looking at the house and I assumed they say me looking at them out the window. Heidi, who is now 5, gave a great description of the girl. She even knew exactly what she was wearing. Hopefully they will catch who it was. The police officer said the neighbors have an older daughter who does not live with them and they thought she might be involved. I don't imagine I will make a very good impression with my neighbor. She probably will think I am a real idiot. Oh yeah the other thing, they are in Florida on vacation so we think it was some kids that knew they would be gone. I could just kick myself for not questioning what they were doing, but I really just thought it was the neighbor kid. We don't see them that much and he had dark hair just like the neighbor. Oh well, I hope I have learned a little something from this. It was a little strange though since they saw Heidi and Noah standing there watching them and it really didn't seem to phase them at all.
I am hoping I will get to look at a police line up and point them out. Maybe I should think about a career in law enforcement. In fact CSI may be trying to get it touch with me even as I am writing this. I see big things on the horizon for me. Oh yeah wait ,I kinda let them get away with this while I stood and watched.
Maybe I am more Barney Fife and less Andy Taylor than I thought. Well hopefully I will do better next time, wait I don't want there to be a next time!!!!!!

No comments: